Saturday 13 February 2010

Is Yoga a Religion?

Because this is how I spend most of my free time, when I am not working or blogging, I thought I would share an edited version of my contemplations on the philosophy of yoga. After all, yoga is a life style and one that can radically change your outlook to life. I very often get questions like "is yoga a religion?" or "what is the difference between yoga and a religion?". So, here a succinct attempt to answer this question. 

The various yoga traditions share the same ontological concern that preoccupies religion: the transcendence of the limited human experience and the attainment of immortality. Yoga however, unlike organised religions, does not require an  aprioristic faith and does not label a non-believer a sinner or a non-dogmatic a heretic. In yoga, the practitioner is invited to undertake a spiritual path with an open heart and inquisitive mind, which may lead to the discovery of faith and devotion through personal experience. So, you can be a yogi and a Christian, a yogi and a Muslim, a yogi and a Hindu or even a yogi and an atheist as it doesn't matter what name you give to god, or if you believe in one to start with.



Photo from Kizie Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment